Monday, December 8, 2008

Yesterday morning I was really struggling with how to make Christmas be more about Christ and less about Santa in our home. I have always tried, but I feel like the outside influence is so strong that I need to be even stronger! I spent the morning researching different talks on lds.org and found a great talk by Pres. Monson called "In Search of the Christmas Spirit". I knew this was the talk I needed for family home evening this week. Later at Church the relief society lesson was on this same subject and Sis. Graham used parts of the same talk. She did such a wonderful job. I was teary the whole time because it was just another testament that our Heavenly Father knows each one of us personally and what our needs are. The sisters all had great suggestions on ways to bring Christ back into Christmas. I am so grateful for the wonderful ward we are in and the examples of the sweet sisters around us. Sis. Graham was so nervous for her first lesson in RS and she did such an awesome job, I can't wait for more. I wanted to share a little from Pres. Monson's talk because I think we can all use a reminder.

"As we seek Christ, as we find Him, as we follow Him, we shall have the Christmas spirit, not for one fleeting day each year, but as a companion always. We shall learn to forget ourselves. We shall turn our thoughts to the greater benefit of others. This noble transition is exemplified by an entry dated 24 December 1847, in the pioneer diary of Mrs. Rebecca Riter. She describes that first Christmas in the valley of the Great Salt Lake: “The winter was cold. Christmas came and the children were hungry. I had brought a peck of wheat across the plains and hid it under a pile of wood. I thought I would cook a handful for the baby. Then I thought how we would need wheat for seed in the spring, so I left it alone.”

We are prone to say, “Oh, those were difficult times, times of stress and trial,” and they were. But I would also reply, “These times in which we live are also difficult times in their own way.” There is no shortage of opportunities to forget self and think of others. Such opportunities, however limitless they may be, are also perishable. There are hearts to gladden. There are kind words to say. There are gifts to be given. There are deeds to be done. There are souls to be saved." Pres. Monson Ensign Dec. 1987.

This is just a small part of his talk, you can read the rest
HERE!

Hopefully I am doing a good job teaching my children the true meaning of Christmas. I think one of the best ways to do this is by example. I would love it if you shared some of your traditions with me. So please comment and if you have any great Christmas book ideas, I need one for book club.

11 comments:

Julie said...

I loved that lesson too...oh how I balled!! Especially with that story about the Art collector and his son!! You're right, Heavenly Father always has a way of knowing what we need to hear.

Jolene said...

You already know all of our traditions - hopefully each one of them is helping the kids to remember the true Sprit of Christmas.

I found my book for Christmas Book Club! I am reading The Life of Our Lord by Charles Dickens. One of Alan's aunts gave it to us a few years ago. It is basically the book of Luke put into a story form. Charles Dickens wrote it for his own kids and didn't want it published until all of his own kids had passed away.

Jodi Stapley said...

Hi Shannon- We had a wonderful lesson Sunday in RS, also, on how we can bring more of 'Christ' into Christmas.

Our Book Club is reading 'The Christmas Sweater' by Glenn Beck, and although I haven't begun reading it yet, I've heard it is really good (I actually started reading 'Breaking Dawn' a few days ago--finally, and so it's taking up any spare time I have at the moment, which isn't much).

See you Friday-

Heather said...

I wished I could have heard Breannas lesson. You are a great example to your kids, they are sweet kids.
As for a book, wish I knew of a good one. I am not much of a reader.

Eric and Breanna Graham said...

Shannon, you're so sweet to say such kind word about my lesson. I suppose since it did not actully kill me, I'm stronger now. I sure hope so! Teaching is not my forte! I'm glad it's over. I lost lots of sleep over the thoughts of standing up there and having to give that lesson. I've got 3mo to prepare for my next one, so I better get started!

Renae said...

I really need to read that talk. This is something we struggle with every year. I wish I could have heard Breanna's lesson. She is so wonderful. We just ordered the Christmas Sweater for my MIL. We heard it was great also. Maybe I'll sneak read it before I wrap it. Is that bad? ;)

Shannon said...

I don't know if it is bad or not, but I've done it! Hee hee!

Varney Family said...

What a great lesson! I'll have to use it next year seeing as how I just saw your post :( Thanks for uplifting me always!

Tuihalalalala said...

Shannon you remind me of me....I felt the same need to make Christmas a little more meaning ful. Just an idea to pass along with the one from you. My favorite Christmas tradition that I read about online that other families did was gave 3 presents to each child and they were special gifts that meant something to that child. Then the story of Christmas is read and the 3 wisemen emphasized who brought the Christ child 3 gifts and then the lesson focuses on Christ and we remember the gift that He gave us that will never be equaled by any other gift. I have tried implementing that tradition in our home...Of course I only have toddlers still and we had to do the spiritual thought much simpler than the way I read it but it has brought a simplicity and humbler feeling about Christmas in our home...We don't focus but on three special gifts per child and between Isaac and I. it feels better than worrying about filling the Christmas tree with unnecessary material wants and filling the home up more with the spirit of Christ.

Alishia said...

Thanks for the reminders and the link to the talk. Ilearn from you everytime I read your blog.

I'm linking you to my blog, hope you don't mind.

standifird family said...

Hi Shannon~ I don't know if you'll get this but I had to tell you...I was at my sister's house last week and saw my cute nephew's (Zack Taysom) team FOOTBALL picture on the fridge...I looked closer at it when a cute red-headed girl caught my attention! I turned to my sister and said, "That's Andrea!!" I was not at all shocked to see that she was on a football team:) I always loved her spunky personality! I went to a few games...how did I miss you?! Anyway, hope all is well with you & your family. Love, Carlie